Thursday, June 21, 2012

Thinking of moving off the campus?

Are you first year student? Yes? Then listen up.
No matter if you are living in residence, an international student or commuting from home, you may want to move out and live on your own after first year. I should tell you about some of my experiences.
Here are some of your living options: living at home, renting a place close to the campus or staying in residence.

Why I liked living on the campus?
-Staying on campus forces you to go to school everyday.
-If you live outside of the campus, you don't want to come to school during the snow storms or rainy days.
-You can always receive latest news or information from school. 
-York's campuses and residences are monitored by security 24/7, it has less security incidents and it's safe.
-The price is reasonable
-York provides an excellent living environment.
-York has residence Dons who can assist you whenever you have issues.
-You get the independence of living away from home.
-Lots of cool people live in res.


Why I liked living off campus?
I have been living outside of campus for three years because:
-It's cheap, quiet, clean and comfortable.
-I have a private space where I can do anything I want.
-I don't need to share the washroom with strangers.
-I can cook any time of day and whatever I want.
-I can bring people home whenever I want and whoever I want.

Tips for moving off campus: 
*Look for houses as early as possible. People usually move out or finish contracts around April.
*Look for a house with friends if possible. 
*Find as many phone numbers as possible and inquire about the place.
*Stay away from the houses that have over 10 people!!! (I know it's hard to find a good house, but look for a place as early as possible)
*If you have issues with your landlord or legal questions, you can reach C.L.A.S.P., a free legal aid service.

So, welcome to York and good luck!
Leave comments, if you have any.

No comments:

Post a Comment