Monday, June 18, 2012

Have you set your goals?


Did anyone tell you to plan your life? One month plan, Three month plan, Five month plan, One year plan, Three year plan and Five year plan?

Is the person crazy? No one can figure their lives out in few hours, even geniuses cant! Being a university student, it's important to be impulsive and have fun.
And there are better ways to plan your university career.
I set different goals  for each semester:
1. academic goals
2. involvement goals
3. personal goals
4. and so on
Sometimes, you won't be able to set them until the school year actually starts; so don't rush yourself. If you are worrying about your life, you may actually find out what you want to do while you are discovering yourself at school.

The following are my examples:
-1st year, my goal was to get out of my shell and get into Finance. Therefore, I enrolled in an acting class and maintained my GPA. Even though I didn't come out of my shell completely, I got in to the major I wanted which was beneficial. At the same time I also started volunteering. At the end of semester, I realized I needed involvement to change myself.

-2nd year, I got involved in York is U, met tons of people and had lots of leadership experience. I also decided to apply for an exchange in my third year. Although I didn't get the offer from York International, I decided to mentor people with my leadership experience instead. (I still think I should have gotten that exchange I because I was the bomb!!! )

-3rd year, I was continuously mentoring first year international students and very involved with York is U. It turned out that York International invited me to attend Emerging Global Leaders Program due to my outstanding involvement at York. And now I am one of the execs from York is U and a RED Zone ambassador. I would have never thought that all these things would have happen when I was in first year.

-4th year, I don't know what is going to happen yet, but I am looking forward to doing something new.
My goals for my 4th year are:
- becoming a university EGLP mentor
- continuously helping students
- providing leadership opportunities to students
- boost up my GPA
- looking for a job after graduation

My advice to you is don't rush yourself on goal setting, because you will figure out what you need to do eventually. If you want to pursue in higher education, you should be aware of your GPA.

So, Welcome to York and Good luck.
Leave comments, if you have any.

No comments:

Post a Comment